“Taking a break is good for the soul, good for the
mind, and good for the body.”
I’m sure I have read or heard that somewhere…maybe I
have been told by someone else or even told myself about a particular topic.
Maybe I just made it up right now. When my kids get frustrated with a task, I
tell them, “Take a break…do something else for a little while and get back to
it…re-group.” It works for them and I feel like a smart mom.
What about taking several breaks from different
things at the same time to see what was or wasn’t working for that soul, mind
and body? I did just that a month ago...stopped doing things that I thought
made me who I am.
This very act is getting me back to doing one of the
things I was breaking from…writing. I am a chronic journaling champ. Good days,
bad days, laughing moments, crying moments where my inked words are smeared
with tears, angry words and fabulous moments….all written down. It always feels
better for me to write things down…more so the upsetting stuff…rather than say
it out-loud and I am not capable of holding them in, as much as I wish I
could…I don’t feel that is healthy…I just write it out and move on – not
hurting anyone in the process. The good days were getting fewer and far between
in the last six months….so I stopped writing at all…just to see what I felt. I
found I can let things go easier than I thought I could…I don’t have to run to
my journal to be upset with my husband or frustrated that i can’t seem to get a
good school night routine down (I am SO ready for summer!).
Taking a break from making lists is something
else….i am a list freak, because it feels great to mark something off to see an
accomplishment….no, I don’t need to write down that I need to pick up my 9 year
old from afterschool care on my way to HEB…but when I do write it, I get to
cross it off…because it shows I did something. So when I make lists and I don’t
cross something off, I feel not so fantastic….and holy crap when I find a list
from two years ago (yeah – that’s a whole other topic that I even HAVE that
list two years later, but whatever) but to find the same damn to-do’s for the
house or whatever on the list today – ugh! So I stopped making lists. Even the
simple ones…now, I get my youngest and we go to HEB…that grocery list still
happens…I’m 44 and my memory sucks – and the list is in the order of the storeJ. I don’t miss my lists near
as much as I thought I would…I look at the laundry – it will always be there
and I will always do it…same with the rest of the house…I pick and choose my
tasks for the evenings and I am sitting down with my family way more often. They
dig it J I dig it J
Crossfit. Yep – I’m not an annoying freak about it,
yet I would love for the world to try Crossfit at least once. I think it is amazing.
It’s been my physical outlet next to running for the last five years. I have to
go at 5:15am due to my work schedule and location. For five years, I’ve been up
and doing a workout that early. Soooo many times, people say, “you’re crazy for
getting up so early to work out” and I used to be proud to say “yep!”
Welllllll....lately, I’m just damn tired at 4:45am…so I started to miss….and I
started to resent my job that I already don’t like, because I couldn’t change
my workout routine. I do not look like the Crossfitters you see on
ESPN…nope...i enjoy my beer and my food and I’m not wanting to compete in the
Crossfit Games…not yet. I told myself it’s time for a break; put my membership
on a 3 month hold, so I can miss it…so I can love Crossfit again.
I want to
write a book one day.
I want to find
a crossed-off list - NOT a repeat list
I want to be a
Crossfit coach when I retire in four years
I just did an essential journal entry, made a list,
and my Crossfit membership starts back up in December…I didn’t quit…I took what
I thought was an obligation away for just a little bit so I could remember to
enjoy these things rather than let them define me…I’m regrouping and I am
remembering I am worth following the advice I give my children.
Take a break. Re-group in your very own way J We are all worth having
peace in our soul, mind, and body.
-sc
No comments:
Post a Comment