Thursday, November 17, 2016

Let's all BE a special occasion!

I put makeup on my face today!! Welllll....I put pressed powder, a stroke of blush, some eye shadow and eyeliner on my face. No foundation...not sure why I feel the need to clarify that, but I do. Maybe because I normally only wear eye liner...when I remember... so foundation, to me is a huge jump? Anyway...so wearing this is kinda big for me...it's the once a year thing I do if we go to the work Christmas party...a special occasion.


I made myself be a special occasion. :-)


I watched "Bad Moms" the other day on my flight back from Virginia. It was a little bit eye opening for me. Not that I need a movie to tell me that all moms struggle each day and even those who seem to have their stuff together, really might not....however, it's still nice to hear and smile to myself that I have a pretty great life, despite my current life funk. Watching it all with some humor really helps a girl smile. :-)




Mila Kunis played the main character and I was drawn to how she wore her makeup so beautifully because it was so simple. I pride myself on being simple...I don't wear make up - I used to say it was because I didn't like having to clean my face everyday, but I TOTALLY do that everyday, so what the hell? I don't get my nails done, I dress fairly simple, yet have great outfits thanks to my super shopper husband. I could wear black every day...although I do crave some color sometimes. I don't like to draw much attention to myself, if any, and I am starting to think that's part of what is pulling me down!! Reading that again, I sound pretty damn boring!! haha...I like the word simple instead, thank you.


I'm done with that!! I know I won't change overnight...baby steps with a little bit of make up and lip gloss...knowing when I tell my best friend I actually have makeup in my little makeup bag, she's going be so excited! haha!




I know a lot of women tend to put others first...husband, wife, kids, parents, friends, even job duties...who and/or whatever else first. Then, if there is enough energy, we sit down long enough to do something we enjoy...but not every day. When those "not every day"s start to add up - we get lost.


Sometimes, we compare our lives to other people...not always on a conscious level, but we do. We start looking at who has things going on that we don't or who doesn't have things going on that we do...and we compare. This isn't always a bad thing...we can look at someone else and want something we think they have, thinking, "I would like to be that relaxed all the time" and find ways to do just that...the trick to doing this is to find the ways we want to relax on our own, rather than comparing or copying the way others do their rituals.


I'll refresh my makeup until I get the hang of it, I'll smile that I get to have some wine when I get home, and know I am some version of a normal "bad mom". :-)
BE a special occasion! For YOU!


-sc

No comments:

Post a Comment