Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Livestrong Austin Half Marathon - DONE!!

Livestrong Austin Half Marathon - DONE!!!!!
 
February 17th...one of the best days of my life!!
**In memory of my dad, I ran 13.1 miles and he was with me every single step of the way**
 
I began training for this day in August 2012 with Round Rock Fit and am so very happy that I did!  The week and a half leading up to this day, I was full of nerves! The closer it got, the calmer I became. Round Rock Fit hosted a pasta dinner the Friday before and that brought the whole experience to a full circle and set my confidence soaring!
 
I rested all day Saturday, as instructed by running coaches. Sunday morning, I woke up excited and happy that we got out the door on time.  Chad and the kiddos dropped me off at Rogue with my friend Dolly, who is a seasoned marathoner. We ran to the capitol, which was a perfect warm up..just under a mile.  She said she would run with me since this is my first half marathon. I was so thankful she did, as she kept a great pace with me and we had a fun time talking along the way!
The weather was absolutely perfect....chilly, clear, just enough wind (my family and friends beg to differ with their chill factor as spectators!) and sunshine!
 
My husband, children, and friends Nina and Aggie were there at the start line cheering as I ventured off to this hilly course. Sarah (with her two toddlers in tow), Lori, Leah, Jose and Jared were there to yell for me along the way as well. Chad coordinated with them to be at different spots and then he, kids, Nina and Aggie popped up at three more spots along the route....they were all such fabulous cheerleaders and full of smiles for me and all the runners around us.
The longest distance I ran with running group was 11 miles, so going into this, I just had to do 2.1 more miles!! haha...not the easiest thing to think with the hills on the last five miles of this course...but holy hills - We did it!!
 
Sidenote: I will say I messed up by taking off the pink undershirt before crossing the finish line because I got hot...Welllll..Chad was looking for those pink sleeves for me to cross and he missed me. He felt bad for me because he didn't see me and I felt bad for him that he didn't see me....so...I will be doing another one and will wear something that I will finish in and he certainly won't miss me! (That is another thing - going into this race, I said this would be it...no more..just wanted to say I did it...yeah, well...as SOON as I crossed that finish line - I knew I was ready to do another one! Half marathons only right now though...running 26.2 miles does not appeal to me)
 
I was seriously on a complete high the rest of the day....maybe even into Monday! I wanted to announce this accomplishment to the world - yet my world did know!
 
My running buddy, Dolly
Such perfect weather for running my first half marathon!
 
Yay me!!
Time: 2:37:00
 
My super husband had made many signs and coordinated my super friends to be at different spots along the route! Great and loud cheerleaders!!
 
My absolutely wonderful children who woke up so very early to get me downtown and cheer me on!! Super kids!!!
 
Super friends and finish line mimosas!!
Left to right - Nina, me, Aggie, Chad (Grey-bug on his shoulders), Dolly, and Lori
 
Goal: two half marathons per year
Next year, same race - I will reach for a new personal record - again :-)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment