Thursday, January 10, 2013

In it to finish...


I took this picture during mile 6-ish of a Saturday morning run. I run every Saturday morning with a running group that I joined to train for my first half marathon (13.1 miles). We start before - well before - any sunrise, while the majority of the rest of the world is sleeping. I run without music. Just me, my thoughts, others conversations as they pass me or I pass them, dogs barking, roosters crowing, and my breathing.

When I think that I only have 38 days until this half happens, it brews up a few thoughts and feelings: anxiety, excitement, confidence, doubt, pride, knowledge, back to anxiety, but then ending with excitement. This last Saturday, I ran 10.7 miles. In those miles, I only took about 45 steps that were not running steps. I have NEVER in my life run that far at one time. What's a couple more miles at that point? Ha! Everything!  Every Saturday is a PR (personal record)!

I CrossFit three times a week and am approaching my two year anniversary of becoming stronger (emotionally, physically, and mentally) because of CrossFit. I don't think I would have signed up for this running group if I had not been doing CrossFit. I know I wouldn't have.

At the very first meeting of this group, the founder of USFit spoke to us. I learned the two most basic things that have kept me in this running game (and every day life):
1) If you think you're breathing too hard, then you are - slow down! Don't stop - just. slow. down.
2) "It" is all in your head. If you tell yourself you can't finish it, then you won't. So drop that word - and you will succeed.
Those two things have kept my feet moving for 10.7 miles now. I lay down on Friday nights excited to know that the next day, I will accomplish something I have never done before - all before 8:30am!

I have no idea if I will have the desire to do a full marathon after this. I think I would rather work on getting better times at 5&10k's and other 1/2 marathons. I am not projecting a finish time on this half; I do expect myself to keep my current average pace - and run all of it without walking - not even 45 steps. I hope and plan to pull from the energy of the crowds to accomplish this goal.

Not in it to win it. In it to finish....and I will!

No comments:

Post a Comment